Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!

For the first time in a long time I am actually off on Mother's Day. Nothing is more depressing than working the holiday and having people tell you ''Happy xxxxxDay ! Anything with Day in it is definitely not going to be happy if you are working retail. I usually try to take my birthday off every year for that very reason. Something about having somebody yell or complain on my birthday makes me want to scream ''It's my birthday, for crying out loud! Be nice to me!''

One year, a very kind hearted pharmacist who owns his own store drove by my store and called me on his cell phone to wish me Happy Mother's Day. He said he was sorry I had to work on Mother's Day. That helped some, mainly because it reminded me that although he takes Sundays and holidays off, he works his tail off the rest of the time.

There is an interesting phenomenon that occurs every Mother's Day and Valentine's Day, the only two days of the year when men are actually required to buy a card and gift all by themselves. Without fail, the day of the holiday (oh, no, not even the day before!)the card aisle is packed, and there are hoards of men gallumping through the store with their mouths hanging open, gawking at all the ''pretties'' and trying to find that one special item that will keep them out of the dog house and say that they care enough to give the very best.

Here's a huge hint....you ain't gonna find it here!! I smile to myself when these guys come up with their purchases, because they are so clueless. I'm sure your Mom has just been drooling over that Hurricane 360 Spin Mop, and your wife or girlfriend will love that Pocket Hose! Better pick up some trial size toothpaste and shampoo while you're here, I have a feeling you will be spending the night somewhere other than your home!

Anyway, short and sweet today, on a counta I gotta go to my Momma's house!

BP


No comments:

Post a Comment