Friday, April 19, 2013

With Respect to Privacy



HIPAA notwithstanding, privacy in the retail pharmacy setting has a long way to go. The consultation window is a nod to the idea that the conversation between patient and pharmacist should be private, but it is woefully inadequate. Likewise the little sign on the floor 6 feet away from the counter that says "Please Wait Here" .
This may satisfy the letter of the law, but there are several problems with this scenario.

How would you like to have to stand at a counter and speak to your physician about erectile dysfunction, a yeast infection, or a rash in a delicate place? Yet when you have questions about the medication you were prescribed to treat these conditions, that is exactly what happens between you and your pharmacist.

Some of the newer pharmacy departments do include a more private area or even a "consultation room''. Which would be great, except that we don't have the support staff to cover while we sit down with you and go over your medications and answer your questions in private.

Even when the chains started giving immunizations and providing health screenings ( which, as you probably know, is a response to the shrinking reimbursements they receive from insurance companies, and not because they are so concerned about public health), the most they could provide was a screen and a folding table with a cheap plastic tablecloth. Oh, and one cheap chair, and one nice chair (for the patient).  I am embarassed when I have an elderly lady that can't get her sleeve up high enough for a flu shot, and has to slip her shoulder out of her top so I can reach her little skinny deltoid muscle. "I'm sorry ma'am, is it ok that the whole store can see your bra?''. I offer to take them to a room if they want, but most of them tell me they are ok with it. I'm not ok with it, because it just isn't right.

The drivethru is another place that your privacy is compromised, especially if there are two lanes. Even though we speak to you over the phone, the speakers on your side blast your business across the parking lot. Drive by sometime with your windows down and you will see what I mean.

As a patient, there are a few things you can do to help us out. If you need to talk to us privately, ask to speak to us in the consultation room. Even if the store does not have an official room, there are places that can be cleared of other employees and made into an impromptu private room. A technician or manager can "hold down the fort" for a few minutes so you can get the attention you deserve.

On the flip side, if you are waiting to drop off or pick up your prescription, please keep a respectful distance from the patient we are working with, and please don't raise your hand as if you are hailing a cab, or try to make eye contact with us so you can ''just ask one quick question''.  In my experience there is no such thing as a quick question. It's just like you learned in kindergarten, wait your turn.

I once had a guy so far up on my patient's back that I thought he was her husband. She and I were discussing a very private matter , and he was right there looking over her shoulder and listening. I guess she was probably too nice or too intimidated to tell him to back the hell off. Anyway, I finished talking with her, and turned to walk away, when I heard "what do you have to do to get waited on around here". There was Mr. Snoopy Pants, chomping at the bit to get waited on. "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were her husband, you were standing so close to her !'' He didn't bat an eye. I don't think it even occured to him that he had done anything wrong.

The chains have us down to minimum staff and are promising maximum service. This is not fair to either one of us, but this is the hand we have been dealt. If you have a question about something out front, try to ask someone other than the pharmacy staff. I know, the managers and store staff are usually hiding in the office or in an aisle, but the front register person should be able to flush them out for you. If you have a question about medication or over the counter products, please be patient and we will help you as soon as we can. We don't like not being able to get to your question, and we don't like having to  broadcast your business to everybody in the waiting room, either.  

A few years ago, I was walking up to the front doors to unlock them for the day, when I saw a desperate man jumping up and down and trying to get my attention. "Gosh, he must really need me to fill his prescription in a hurry''. I yanked open the doors, wondering what was wrong. The guy just about knocked me over in his haste to get in the store. "Do you have any colored toothpicks!!!!?????'' Don't be that guy.

BP







No comments:

Post a Comment